ST JOSEPH CHURCH
Dearborn, MI 48120
Sat Mass: 5:30PM
Reverend Terry Kerner
John Sajdak - Weekend Associate
ST MARTHA CHURCH
18200 Oakwood Blvd
Dearborn, MI 48124
Sat Mass: 4:00PM
Sun Mass: 11:00AM
1656 - April 17, 1680
By: Pope John Paul II
Canonized By: On 10/21/2012
Pope Benedict XVI
was born near the town of Auriesville, New York, in the year
1656, the daughter of a Mohawk warrior. She was four years old
when her mother died of smallpox.
parish will be built on a new Parish Council made
up of three members from each of our previous parishes.
The three seats include one, two and three
year terms. Nominees for those seats will be selected
on January 13, 2013. Any confirmed parishioner
can volunteer or be nominated for any of
the above seats simply by calling Fr. Kerner. The
new Council presents a privileged opportunity to
help shape and give new direction to the new parish.
If you would like to serve on the new Parish
Council, give Fr. Kerner a call at 336-4090 or
Both St Joseph and St Martha parishes are active Churches within the Detroit Archdiocese. A Joint
Parish Council has been established, Religious Education and RCIA classes are offered, SM/SJ Men's Club of St Martha & St Joseph, Women's
Club of St Martha & St Joseph,Baptisms, Weddings, Anniversaries etc.
History of St.
April, l954 Cardinal Mooney purchased nine acres of wooded land
from Ford Motor Company to be the future St. Martha church and
school. Fr. Peter Borkowicz was appointed founding pastor with
over 700 families from the neighboring parishes of St. Sebastian,
St. Mary Magdalene, Sacred Heart and St. Joseph.
Summer masses that first year
were celebrated in Snow school then, in the fall, in the
auditorium of the Edison Institute at Greenfield Village. With a
loan from the Archdiocese, “sweat equity”, and a successful
capital campaign, the founding families cleared the land and
raised $135,000 to begin construction. December 19, 1954, saw
groundbreaking ceremonies leading to laying of the cornerstone on
March 13, 1955.
July, 1955 saw 175 parishioners
put the final touches on the new church in preparation for the
celebration of the first Mass and first communion for sixty young
parishioners. In September of the same year school doors opened to
160 pupils and three Holy Family of Nazareth sisters and one lay
Over the years St. Martha has
seen the growth of its parish organizations and activities, many
of which continue to this day. While the school closed in 1974,
the religious education of parish families continues and welcomes
new families each year. Along with the contribution of hundreds of
parish families over the years, St. Martha has been blessed with
the priestly service of many dedicated pastors. We are grateful
for their pastoral dedication to St. Martha and its contribution
to the Dearborn Community
Pastors of St. St.
June, 1954-June, 1966 Fr. Peter
June, 1966-June, 1971 Fr.
June, 1971-Sept. 1974 Fr.
Sept. 1974-March, 1981 Fr.
March, 1981-July, 1985 Fr.
Robert V. Monticello
July, 1985-June, 1991 Msgr.
Edward C. Burkhardt
July, 1991-June, 2000 Fr. John.
July, 2000-June, 2006 Fr.
July, 2006-June 2013 Fr. Terrence Kerner
History of St. Joseph Church
St. Joseph community began on December 13, 1942, as a mission of
Sacred Heart parish, Dearborn. Because of gas rationing during the
war, residents of “Foundation” rented a store from the Ford
Foundation at the corner of Greenfield and Rotunda.
Over time, Msgr. Sharpe procured ten (10) acres from the
Foundation as a site for the present church, which became a
reality in July of 1953. The first mass was offered on Sunday,
July 19, 1953, by Fr. Brennan, parish administrator and professor
at Sacred Heart Seminary. The church was officially dedicated by
Edward Cardinal Mooney on September 9,1953, at a total cost of
$130,500. Hopes for building a grade school and possibly a girl’s
high school were never realized. Instead, efforts began in
December, 1958, to build a rectory and parish office and were
completed in April the following year. The current hall began
construction before Christmas 1960 and was dedicated in 1961.
In June, 1963, after completion of his teaching assignment at the
Seminary, Fr. Gerard Brennan, the long serving Administrator of
St. Joseph, became its first pastor by appointment of Archbishop
John Dearden. Fr. Brennan served faithfully until his retirement
in 1990. Fr. Adolph Redwick was installed by Bishop Schoenherr as
his successor on July 14, 1990. Fr. Redwick served the St. Joseph
Community until his untimely death in March 2006. Fr. Terrence
Kerner currently serves as the third pastor of St. Joseph having
been appointed by Cardinal Maida in July, 2006.
Pastors of St. Joseph Church
December,1942- June, 1952 Msgr. Sharpe, Administrator
July,1952- May, 1963 Fr. Gerard S. Brennan, administrator
June,1963- June 1990 Fr. Brennan, official appointment as Pastor
July,1990- March, 2006 Fr. Adolph Redwick
July,2006- June 30, 2013 Fr. Terrence D. Kerner